Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 97000197
Historic Name LAWTON HIGH SCHOOL
Description of Significance THE OLD LAWTON HIGH SCHOOL REFLECTS THE GROWTH OF THE CITY THAT IT SERVED. THE ORIGINAL CLASSICAL REVIVAL PORTION OF THE BUILDING, CONSTRUCTED IN 1909 WITH AN IMPRESSIVE COPPER DOME, REFLECTS THE EARLY PROMISE OF THIS SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA TOWN. BY 1922, GROWTH OF THE TOWN NECESSITATED A LARGE ADDITION. A THIRD LARGE ADDITION WAS ADDED USING P.W.A. FUNDS IN 1939. THE BUILDING WAS REPLACED AS HIGH SCHOOL IN 1954, BUT CONTINUED TO SERVE AS THE JUNIOR HIGH FOR MANY YEARS. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 2/27/97.
Current Name CENTRAL JUNIOR HIGH; OLD LAWTON HIGH SCHOOL
Address N.W. 11TH STREET & N.W. FERRIS AVENUE
City LAWTON
County COMANCHE
Lot
Block 31
Current Section SEC 30
Township T2N
Range R11W
Type BUILDING
Historic Function SCHOOL
Current Function SCHOOL
Area Signficance 1 100 EDUCATION
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 7/17/92
Year Built 1909; 1923; 1939
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder HAIR & SMITH, ARCHITECTS; TONINI & BRAMBLETT, ARCHITECTS; PAUL HARRIS, ARCHITECT
Architectural Style CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Roof Material
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material Wood
Door Material GLASS; WOOD,GLASS
Decorative Details
Condition GOOD
Comments THE PROPERTY DOES NOT WARRANT FURTHER STUDY DUE TO INSUFFICIENT AGE.
Restricted N